If your vehicle is uninsured you must pay a motor insurance charge

Under Swedish legislation, almost all motor vehicles are legally required to have motor insurance.

If your vehicle is not insured but not temporarily deregistered, Trafikförsäkringsföreningen has a legal right (under Section 34 of the Motor Traffic Damage Act) to claim a motor insurance charge from you, the owner.

The sum is charged for each day that your vehicle remains uninsured. The charge covers the costs of any damage (personal injuries and/or damage to property) caused by an uninsured vehicle.

The scale of the motor insurance charge is based on the highest premiums applied by insurance companies for the various types of vehicle, e.g. cars or lorries.

Current table of charges